Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thank You Dr. Seuss!

Thank You Dr. Seuss, Theo LeSieg, Theodor Seuss Geisel for being born to bring us ingenious children and adult books to learn from! Happy 108th birthday!
 
Thank You for being the first author and my constant companion since the time I became pregnant and eventually a mother. 

My children developed their friendship with Dr. Seuss while still in my womb.

Thank You for this book, Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go! where my love for you started from.  It was like a love letter for me that I religiously recite everyday when I was pregnant.
 


Dr. Seuss's  first book 1937 edition
Thank You that you didn't give up(well, you almost did) to find a publisher who was willing to publish your first book And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street when twenty-eight or so rejected it, or we wouldn't be reached by your ingenuity.  It made me happy being able to have this as my first bought book too.  It was preloved and a bit worn out but hey, it was first edition of your first book...1937 that was! And I owed to you and to that boy Marco my son's wild imagination.




Thank You that your brilliance almost drove me nuts to collect all these.  Some were presents, many were bought (still preloved) and hoping that the ones I lent to friends would someday find their way back home. :)

Thank You  that my son learned the alphabet using your Dr. Seuss's ABC and the animal sounds from Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? I didn't know that butterflies make sounds too, but you were just creative and imaginative.  Up until now, he makes rhymes because of Hop On Pop, what with all the rhymes and artistic cartoons.  And he loves it when his tongue gets queasy with Fox in Socks! and Oh, Say Can You Say?



Thank You for your publisher who produced this big book which contains a dozen of your books.  I actually bought this for me, brand new but still on sale.  It was great reading the stories that came with it written by your friends and your wife Audrey plus the reproduced sketches of yours.  I love how you came up with one particular book.


Thank you that you got me hooked.  Because your works were not just for children but for adults as well.  The Lorax, I would say, is my all-time favorite for its environmental consciousness lesson that teaches how to be more gentle with our nature.  I always remind myself this, "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."

Thank You for Horton Hears A Who, you taught me that "a person's a person no matter how small." So no matter who I am talking to, I treat them fair and square.  And for Yertle The Turtle and The Sneetches simply impart that we are all equal. And many more.

Ultimately, THANK YOU for Oh, The Places You'll Go! that you've written before you meet our Creator.  This book keeps me inspired whatever I am doing and will be doing in the future.

           Congratulations!
           Today is your day.
           You're off to Great Places!
           You're off and away!

           You have brains in your head.
           You have feet in your shoes.
           You can steer yourself
           any direction you choose.
           You're on your own. And you know what you know.
           And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

          .....
       
          On and on you will hike.
          And I know you'll hike far
          and face up to your problems
          whatever they are.

          .....

          And will you succeed?
          Yes! You will, indeed!
          (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

          KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

       
Thank you for all and I believe your legacy will live on!  I just wonder what you would have written if you were still living today, what with the technology that ultimately transforms the children of this generation.











 



4 comments:

  1. WOW, 1937 edition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting to have one Sir! Thanks for taking time...

      Delete
  2. Hi!

    Love your collection of Dr. Seuss books. We celebrated his birthday as well. Thanks for following my blog.

    Allison
    http://barretts1234.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Allison! Came across your blog through Roller Coaster Ride and I was amused with your posts and excited that your husband is a Filipino. God bless you and your family!

      Delete